City of Maitland

Maitland News


Online Forms

City Documents

About Maitland


Privacy Statement

Contact Us

RSS Feeds


Press Releases

Sign Up for Phone App

Subscribe to eNewsletter

Find Us On Facebook


Connect with us on Nextdoor


Maitland News
The City Council Approves FY 2017 Budget

It’s a wrap for budget season and FY 2016 will soon be history as the City Council adopted the FY 2017 budget, the FY 2017-2021 Capital Improvements Program, and a 4.15 operating millage rate.  The operating millage rate of 4.15 is unchanged from FY 2016.  The voted debt millage rate was set at .3650 mills, resulting in an overall 4.515 millage rate for FY 2017 as compared to 4.54 for FY 2016.

The millage rate sets the amount of money to be collected based on the total taxable value of each property established by the Orange County Appraiser’s Office.  The City’s portion of the tax bill for a Maitland resident is approximately 25 percent of the total tax bill.  The remaining 75 percent goes to Orange County Public Schools, Orange County, and the St. Johns River Water Management District.

Every year, City staff submits a budget and a budget message to the City Council, as outlined in the City’s Charter.  Maitland’s fiscal year is October 1 – September 30.

The budget lists projected revenues and expenses of City government for FY 2017.  The budget also provides funding for the Capital Improvements Plan FY 2017 – 2021.

The FY 2017- 2021 Capital Improvements Program anticipates major capital expenditures completed by the City of Maitland over the next five years.  These projects are physical assets constructed or purchased to provide, improve, or replace a public facility and are large in scale and high in cost. 

The CIP projects with FY 2017 funding – such as transportation, infrastructure, pavement, stormwater/lakes management, sanitary/sewer, and Parks & Recreation improvements – total $9.8 million.  Additionally, City senior staff recommended the addition of eight positions in FY 2017, including five police officers, a fire inspector, building inspector, and a fleet maintenance mechanic.  

The projected cost of personnel, operations, replacement capital, contributions and CRA operating loans for FY 2017 is $24.3 million.  FY 2017 revenue, from 19 sources, is expected to total $24.0 million. General fund reserves of $341 thousand will be used to balance the budget.  

Water and Sewer rates were increased as recommended in the FY 2015 adopted utility rate study and will fund the operations, maintenance and infrastructure of the potable water, irrigation and sanitary sewer systems.  The stormwater fee was set at $10.39 per equivalent residential unit (“ERU”) per month, a 6% increase over the FY 2016 rate of $9.80 per ERU. 

Additionally, the solid waste service rates and deposits for residential services remained unchanged, while commercial rates were adjusted slightly downward.   The solid waste service rate for Maitland residents is $22.41.  To view the rates, Budget, and five-year CIP, visit

Maitland News Archive

Website Design and Content Management by JSS Enterprises, Inc.